.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Monday, November 29, 2004

How things work

For several weeks now, I've been following the story of a local boy in ICU in Tulsa. This boy contracted a tick disease and is in pretty bad shape --- on a ventilator with every imaginable kind of tube stuck in his arms and legs and nose. Needless to say, his family and friends are devastated.

And they don't --- and won't --- have the money to pay his medical bills, much less the costs of feeding, clothing and caring for him once he gets home --- or rather, if he gets home.

In any case, a local store has kept a coffee can on the counter for donations. Yet, every time I go to this store, I forget to take cash with me to put in the can.

So, a day or so ago, out of desperaton to clear the place out, I took a chair my sister gave me and put it in my car. I didn't know where else to put it and it seemed like the logical thing to do. I mean, this is me we're talking about. I figured I'd just keep it in the car until I decided whether to fix it or give it away.

Then this afternoon, I get off work and stop at the store to put some gas in the car. And the old guy at the next pump sees the chair and asks what're you gonna do with that chair?

I reply, "Oh, I don't know. That's why it's in the car. Do you want it?"

He says, "Does it need fixing?" And I tell hin yea, the springs in the seat are sprung.

So he says, "Well, I'd sure like the chair but I'd like it more if you'd fix it and keep it yourself." And I tell him no, no, I can't do that, better you take the chair. And he says ....

"I'll gve you $10 if you fix that chair."

After I recovered my composure, I told him no, no you take the chair. And he says young lady [bwaha!], I'm going to give you this money so you can go over to the store and get what you need to fix the chair.

And I think a minute, then tell him if you give me the ten dollars, do I have to use it to fix the chair? And he says it's between you and God what you do with that ten dollars!

So I say okay, give me the ten dollars --- but it's going into the can on the counter for the kid who's sick.

And he gave me the ten dollars. And I took that ten dollars and I put it in the can. And the last thing the old guy said to me is all I ask is you fix the chair --- yourself --- and you never tell anyone about this --- this is just between you and me and God.

Okay, so I didn't keep the last part of my promise to him. But it just seems to me everyone should know the funny way things work out when you just let them.

2 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Rob said...

;) Still got the chair in your car?

Too bad health care is not a real priority in our nation.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Your story is elegant and beautiful. It awakened a feeling in me that all of our destinies are intertwined. I felt like I had been given a gift when I read it.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home