.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

And, by the way --- movies

In response to a thoroughly inane comment on a blog with a name I refuse to utter (hint: it is inhabited by coopted academics busy slavishly appeasing the Radical Right by denouncing the Dems), I purchased Apocalypse Now Redux. In essence, the commentator asserted the shamefulness of Apocalyose ---- how dare Coppola question military might by portraying Our Soldiers as crazed druggies!

Obviously, subtlety and deeper meanings aen't fortes of the Right.

I also purchased Schindler's List, in response to Coburn protesting NBC's airing of the historically significant movie "Schindler's List". Coburn said in airing the movie NBC had taken television "to an all-time low, with full-frontal nudity, violence and profanity". He also said the broadcast should outrage parents and decent-minded individuals everywhere.

And finally, I purchased Amadeus because it elicits responses of "Not again!" and rolling eyes from a certain niece.

Any and all movie suggestions welcomed.

4 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger Rob said...

"Run Silent, Run Deep", loosely based on the novel of the same name by CAPT Edward Beach, USN.

Outstanding story of the USS Nerka, a WWII fleet submarine, and the conflict between her captain and the first officer (who was slated to command her). The captain defies orders to take Nerka on a near-suicidal mission to avenge the loss of his previous sub, over the objections of his exec.

It's old, black-and-white, but one of the best of the breed for submariners like me :)

Aooooga! Aooooga! DIVE! DIVE!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

He! :=D

Keep them coming. I've discovered I can almost cover the cost of buying on Amazon by simultaneously selling on Amazon - because, with every purchase there, I mysteriously (or not :=D ) sell the equivalent amount of $$$ there. Meaning I come out almost even.

So far, I've sold 5 books and 1 DVD in the last two days.

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger MJ said...

One of my all-time favorite movies is Dead Man, by Jim Jarmusch. "And each time I arrived in another city somehow the white men had moved all their people there ahead of me. Each new city contained the same new white people as the last, and I could not understand how a whole city of people could be moved so quickly." - Nobody, in "Dead Man"

Another favorite is "Room With a View". It's wonderful, and worth it if only for the bathing scene at the pond and Daniel Day Lewis batting flies on the veranda while holding a book and teacup.

And a teen movie I loved: "Saved".

I just rented Collateral. It was great!

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Cookie said...

:=D Thanks, Marj! I'm going to start a running list over at Amazon so I can just pick one or two as I go along.

I started the list with My Life as a Dog. I've never seen Room so it goes on, as does Dead Men.

The diving movie may have to wait, however. :=D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home