.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Changes

The blog will be slow for a day or so --- not only am I painting the house and trying to finish grading, but I am going to do some changing around here.

In particular, I'm going to create a permanent set of links to stories concerning our military and a subsection where those stories will be permanently stored. All this is the inspiration of Rob Schumacher --- Rob is a current member of the military (Navy) and was involved in the early stages of Iraq, so he definitely has a personal stake in what's going on in the military.

But don't we all? And how shameful is it that we send these guys to war, then treat them like --- well, you'll see. Rob's been doing some serious rounding up and he knows where the goods are, believe me. And he knows his military, so boy can he talk about it in an intelligent way.

In the meantime, go do some reading over at Rob's Blog --- and at Progressive Blog Digest --- read both simultaneously today, in fact, as Nick has a great roundup on Abu Gonzalez, Allawi and more.

And wish me luck that I don't crash the blog again, like I did a week or so ago when I doodled with the template. :=D

3 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger Nick Burbules said...

Hey, this is great! I really appreciate it.

Thanks, Cookie.

=============================================
Most Deserving of Wider Recognition: Progressive Blog Digest/Rob's Blog

Sorry for all the ties, but some are real toss ups for me!
Posted by: Cookie at December 14, 2004 11:10 AM

=============================================

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Rob said...

I clicked over to the Fair Treatment for Our Soldiers blog, it's a GREAT idea! Something to expose injustice to our troops, and to hopefully avoid the mistake of Vietnam (where people took out their anger at the war on the troops coming home).

I'll be honest with you...the story of those dishonorably discharged Army officers has brought me to tears and a lot of anger. For even writing to the officer reviewing their clemency request (and to my senators/congressmen/the President) I could potentially get in military "hot water" myself, but damn the regs...I can't let this one lie. I've emailed/commented to every blog I read asking them to carry the story, and I've even had a comment on one of my posts about the issue from Major Kaus herself (one of the soldiers who was dismissed and is seeking clemency).

I've found my crusade; I may not be able to take it as far as I'd like, as I'm on active duty myself and only an E-6, but I'll do as much as I can to raise awareness and make this a national news item.

My next project...I'm going to write to "60 Minutes" and see if they will do a piece on it, as well as the other major news networks. And I know a reporter here at a local paper that I'm going to email about it (she does tech news mainly, but she can pass it on.)

I think about them, and it's like a gunshot; I've seen and heard of injustice, but this story takes the cake.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Cookie said...

Darn, I accidentally turned off the notification for comments or something, so I just saw these.

First, Nick, you REALLY deserve it. In fact, if you hadn't already done it, I very likely would have ended up doing a digest thing because it is so, so useful - but also a lot of work. I think everyone should bookmark you. :=D

And Rob, there's lots of bugs to work out, but I think this might work. I tried creating separate named archives, but couldn't get it to work. It will take me a day or so to figure my way through it, so be patient!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home