.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

How you can help

Major Kraus, one of the victims of the chickenhawks (see Rob's Blog or the earlier post here) has told us how we can help in a comment on Rob's Blog.

I've taken the liberty of reposting her suggestions below, all relevant addresses and sample letters/emails from Rob and Chris Woods.

Don't let the chickenhawks get away with this, people. Take action.

"I strongly argee everyone who feels this is wrong and feels that I deserve a discharge of honorable status please email

daniel.baggio@vcmain.hq.army.mil

LTC Baggio is the legal advocate for LT. General Metz, who will be deciding my fate.

Thank you for your support.

Major Catherine Kaus"


"I found the correct version of his email address. It only took about 2 hours of researching.

Here it is, the original was close: Daniel.Baggio@vcmain.hq.c5.army.mil

and check out this link for more info:
http://stevegilliard.blogspot.com/2004/11/simply-amazing.html
Chris Woods"

"I also sent a letter to President Bush, Senator Tom Harkin, and Congressman Leonard Boswell. Thanks for pointing out that service at Congress.org, Rob, it is a very useful tool.
Chris Woods"

"I also sent that via Congress.org to Sen. Dan Inouye, Sen. Dan Akaka, Congressman Neil Abercrombie, and the President.

I'm still speechless that this could happen to people for serving their nation.
Robert Schumacher"

"Here's a letter I wrote (I copied it to you, Major). It bounced as well from the LTC, if anyone has an updated email address for him please send it along and I'll re-send.

Sir,

I have seen the story of the 656th Transportation Company, Major Kaus, and Chief Warrant Officer Birt, and I cannot believe our nation would even consider a courts-martial for what they did. Given even the latest questions posed about the problems faced by units in Iraq and lack of proper equipment to the Secretary of Defense, it makes it even more unbelievable that personnel in combat would be punished for doing what was necessary to get their mission done. The stories of war in our history are filled with nearly identical instances in which soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen all had to scrounge, scavenge, and even "appropriate" whatever was necessary to do the job and win the battles. In the past we called these people heroes.

A personally inspiring historical figure for me is the late Rear Admiral Richard O'Kane, one of the most illustrious submarine commanders of the Second World War, who recalls in his own books "Wahoo" and "Clear The Bridge" the difficulties in obtaining equipment needed for his own subs and how resourceful supply officers and petty officers often had to scrounge for what they needed. It was no secret, really; and O'Kane and his men were often decorated for their resourcefulness and success against the enemy. O'Kane himself was awarded the Medal of Honor for his leadership.

I wonder what message we send now, that the reward for doing the really tough jobs, going in harms way lacking the proper equipment but doing so anyway out of a sense of loyalty, duty, and honor, and making the best of a bad situation is grounds for a Dishonorable Discharge and stripping career officers of the accomplishments of an entire lifetime.

I'm not a lawyer; I don't profess to know the in's and out's of the regulations that govern this. But in a situation like this, common sense, decency, and looking out for our soldiers in harm's way should be able to trump the rules of bureaucracy.

I sincerely hope the Army can find a way to allow these soldiers to retire with the honor they deserve, not slap them in the face for going above and beyond to serve their nation. I can assure you, just from what I read I'd want officers like Major Kaus and Chief Warrant Officer Birt as my leaders in battle, and they have my salute any day.
Robert Schumacher"

"Here is the text of an email I sent to LTC Baggio just a few minutes ago:

To whom it may concern:

I write to you today asking you to please give Major Catherine Kaus an honorable discharge.

She and Chief Warrant Officer Darrell Birt are fine soldiers, who risked their lives to deliver fuel to the front lines. They used abandoned Army equipment for this mission and should be applauded for their efforts to protect American troops.

As civilians, we see signs and stickers everywhere reminding us to support our troops. I support our troops. We should support our troops and pray for their safety, even if we disagree with the war. However, I do not think that by dishonorable discharging Maj. Kaus is supporting our troops. She did what she had to do to protect other soldiers and herself.

If Americans cannot be commended and honored for simple and basic acts of bravery, I do not know what this country has come to.

Sincerely,

Christopher D. Woods
Chris Woods"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home