.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Sunday, December 19, 2004

I am finished

This final round only took me five days straight of grading. Although, truth is, it's actually been almost a month straight of grading. I'll admit, I lightened the load mid-semester, after having spent the end of August, all of September and the first of October ... grading. And, being an excitable sort (not to mention, a caffeine addict), teaching alone for me (sans grading) is quite nearly the equivalent of a four hour gym workout, complete with circuit training.

As I bid farewell to my youth (which has been exceptionally long), I have come to accept I will never be the sedate professorial type, complete with glasses. I leave that to our history professor who is married to the local librarian. She's barely 5' tall and wears the cutest little college professor outfits.

She has two Ph.D.s. She got them at the same time even, and didn't cut corners in the process. And let me tell you, she's positively the cutest college professor around --- but she looks like she has two Ph.Ds. She looks smart and is able to maintain the appropriate collegial veneer naturally and without the slightest pretense.

Unlike me. Me, I fling myself into the teaching, flailing about wildly, gesticulating whenever possible and especially when it's not called for.

The rumor on campus is that I am surely an Italian.

But, no. I'm actually pretty much the same as all my little cowboy and Indian students. Although I do have one Italian and Indian student (her father is police chief in one of the local towns) who helps out in class by gesticulating back at me wildly and often.

She's in the same class as our student from Hong Kong who can't quite figure out where he's landed. I think he chose to come here because of all our cowboys and Indians. Well, he's got 'em dude.

He spends a lot of time ducking when she and I start gesticulating at each other.

*sigh of relief*

So that's over. And I can get back to business, including this and this and this. For starters.

But first, my own harebrained theory about colonialism and Indians and Iraqis and ordinary Americans and what they all have to do with one another. After I paint the ceiling for a while.





6 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Yeah. I like it when I hit your blog on a day when you're off-topic, when you're autobiographical, when your writing-magic appears. You got some nice stuff, sister. I know I have only caught a glimpse of the creative potential that you allow to briefly come out to play and then call back inside. I sit on the playground waiting for that.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

Oops, now I know what the little trashcan is for. !

In any case, Marj, it's hard when there's chickens to worry about. ;-)

No, actually, thanks Marj. :=D It's difficult to get the right flow, though, when there's so, so many things going on (including the chickens). I have tremendous admiration for those who can sustain it, including you.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I fixed a typo in the title of the first post on Fair Treatment...but that caused the "Who To Contact" link on your blog to break (sorry :(

Here's the URL now: http://fairtreatmentforoursoldiers.blogspot.com/2004/12/us-armys-unjust-treatment-of-soldiers.html

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

I think it's fixed now. Let me know if it isn't.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Rob said...

IAG

(in "sailor speak" that's "it's all good" :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home