.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Monday, January 24, 2005

Skipping School and New Jobs

It isn't so much that I'm sick as that I feel awful --- my ears hurts, there's a tickle in my throat and I'm all stuffed up. It may be allergies or I could have some horrible flu.

Whatever, I realized this morning while hanging over my first cup of coffee that I'm going to have to get a new job. This one is killing me, simple as that. I just spent the entire weekend grading and am looking forward to 16 more weeks of doing nothing but grading and concocting suitable lesson plans and grading some more ad nauseam nauseam nauseam.

It's always like this to an extent when you teach --- but it's especially bad at this job because so many of these kids are coming out of schools where they've never been taught a thing. Seriously --- no exaggeration.

And not just they've never been taught anything --- I'm having to play the roles of speech pathologist, therapist, literacy coach, disabilities counselor, whatever. I've dealt with more functional illiteracy than you can shake a stick at. I've dealt with people who, as teenagers, sustained head injuries which put them into comas for a month and for which they never received rehab because nobody ever bothered to test their language skills, and it's taken me spending hours --- days, in fact --- staring at pages of text in which there is no discernible subject or verb and in which sentence level word order is backward and finally throwing my hands up in the air and saying this is a head injury problem, but where's the head injury? And I've spents days tracking down neurology clinics for students like this. And I now have another one --- ANOTHER ONE --- that I discovered last night.

I've spent hours trying to determine if the inability to distinguish "what" from "that" is dialectal, a simple mistake or indicative of some obscure learning disability.

I have forty year olds in my classes who can't read. I have 19 year olds who are gifted and talented, but homeless.

And at a basic gut level, I love my job. My classes are overflowing and I get the gratification of people coming to me to thank me or tell me I'm the best teacher they've ever had.

I'm also the most hated teacher because I flunk plagiarists and lazy-asses and jive-asses who think smooth talking is all they need to get by. They hate me. You bet they do. :=D

The problem is, it's like being a missionary. And I'm no missionary. And I can't continue to put this amount of time into it.

So it's time to rethink this. I'm hired through next September. So there's time. But how it will go, I don't know. Although i suspect it's time to start looking at other jobs before I hit complete burnout.

3 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Leila M. said...

I have *yet* another virus, too. Nothing compared to the last one, so for now it's just annoying. cough cough and stuffy sinuses/ears.

Annoying, isn't it! It IS a virus, though.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Leila M. said...

hey, where the heck r u teaching anyway! Adult learning thingy? ENGRISH??? omg, I think you are my doppelganger-- the one who has a job!

u should just freaking email me alzahra aaaat earthlink dotttt net

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

It must be a virus or ... ??? Although it has kind of the feel of allergies --- my ears itch, my face itches, my nose itches. But down here, the only pollen going is cedar and juniper, and I don't think I'm allergic to them.

Email on the way, BTW. :=D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home