.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Monday, February 07, 2005

Monday Evening Gardening Chat

Okay, well, over at Kos, they're having a heated debate over Democrats and penises.

I know, I know, it's way beyond me, too. But it's been entertaining reading --- some spectacular slugouts, a lot of snooze-worthy high tone language about "narrative" and "social construct" and whatnot --- I wasted an entire afternoon on it.

And today was certainly the right day for it, as earlier, I told one class look, I don't make you write journals because I could care less what you *feel* about the readings and when you become extremely famous molecular or whatever biology graduate students with $400,000 NSF grants to study Q fever or ricksettia --- okay, so maybe that's pushing it --- so when the IRS shows up at the feed store wanting you to tally up exactly how much goat chow is out back, they're not going to give a hoot how you *feel* about the goat chow either.

And reading some 400 posts about Democrats and penises certainly convinced me I'm on the right track. I approach teaching like soccer. The students are the soccer ball and it's my job to dribble or just outright kick them through those goal posts by the end of the semester.

I'm like a border collie with my little herd. Or blue heeler maybe. Or something.

I don't know, I think this Democrat and penis stuff is pretty much in the same league as Ward Churchill.

In any case, it's almost February 15, or the day when my Concord grapes and elderberries and strawberries will be shipped to me from Forest Farm. I am really having to restrain myself from starting my seeds. It's getting close, though. The pileated woodpeckers have all left and the cardinals are just insane! I have lots of iris poking up --- at least those the rabbit hasn't eaten, grrrr --- and some crocus, and I'm beginning to see some tinges of green on the trees. I'm sure I must be imagining it, but this has been going on since last week. So maybe.

I'm seeing a lot of young foals, too, on my commute. I love the really young ones --- all legs, just sweet as can be.

I alternately hate and love this time of year. On the one hand, it's so exciting to start the garden and see things starting to come up. The colors are the best, too --- the first green leaves and the sun hasn't gotten too glaringly bright yet and there's lots of gentle pinks and yellows.

But I also have anniversary effect this time of year. I start getting nervous in March and, although visually April is the best month, I'm always glad when it's over. April 18 is the anniversary of my mother's death. April 19 is the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing. And April 20 is the anniversary of the death of one of my brothers.

I'm a bit different from a lot of people because I don't really believe in death --- at least, not in the way we're supposed to believe in it. I don't think death is a bad thing and I just never have. It's not something I've ever been terribly worried about.

But there's definitely some kind of visceral body memory thing that goes on in terms of an anniversary effect. It's a very real phenomenon. Absolutely. I've always been certain my mother died from the anniversary effect.

I think it's one reason I love gardening so much. Even if you only plant annuals, there's a permanence about them --- their roots and the leaves they drop change the soil. They feed humingbirds and bees. Their seeds get scattered about and they always show up a couple of years later in the most unlikely of places. I had beautiful cosmos volunteering out in one of my fields last summer - huge, they must have been five feet tall. They started out along the fence out front when I first moved here almost 3 years ago.

I have a huge can that I store my seeds in. I pulled it out of storage a few days ago, but haven't yet opened it. I know that, once I open it, I'll be tempted to start planting. But I need to wait a few more weeks. Not too much longer - just a few more weeks.

My lilacs have huge buds ready to go on them. The blueberries are ready to spring out at any moment.

It may only be February but it's going to be spring here before we know it.

1 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger M.T. Daffenberg said...

Hi,

Like the blog. You're blogrolled.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home