.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Muskrat Love

Anyone who's lived in Okie-Land for any length of time knows about Willis Alan Ramsey and Woody Guthrie and who not. The issue of Okie-land-ness arises because of a post over at Sister Scorpion, where she discovers Okies are in okie-land simply because they like it here.

Yes. Exactly.

I've had all kinds of evil intent ascribed to my insistence upon beinghere, despite opportunity upon opportunity (at least at one time) to live in all kinds of other places.

People have assumed I always come crawling back here come hell or high water because I just can't take it in the real world or I secretly want to marry me a wife-beater or I can't handle not being surround by KKKers and J.R. Ewing style evil dudes or other such nonsense.

Really, people have thought those things. They're all wrong.

I'm here because I really really really like it here.

I know by heart what the air feels like when spring's on the way. I know by heart what the air feels like when a tornado's on the way.

I can't tell you how deep down sad I get when it's late November and I go up around a bit north of Claremore and I see those low lying grey clouds. It makes me sad. Every year.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy the first sight of green and the forsythias and the cardinals and the woodpeckers and the flickers.

I even like summer.


I would much rather talk to some old Okie without a lick of formal education and missing half his teeth than some spiffed up dude from Dallas in the latest car and a flashy suit who knows all the latest stuff. Problem is, the old Okie knows where all the skeletons are buried and how to use a water witch and what signs are best for castrating goats and which way to plant corn and how to train a hinny, while the spiffed up dude from Dallas only knows where the latest fashionable restaurant is.

I mean, not to diss anyone, but we're a dying breed out here and I just don't feel like pushing it along too far.

I'd be perfectly happy if all our politicians would just drop off the face of the earth and they just fenced off Oklahoma and left us alone. I'd be fine with that. Nothing political about it. It's just how it is.

3 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger grammydeb said...

Hi Moonbat.:*} Sounds to me like you might be feeling a little better than you were a couple of days ago. I'm glad. Spring has sprung, (in Alabama, at least). I saw a robin yesterday and the buttercups are blooming. I can feel the sap rising.... Hang in there.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

Yes, I'm definitely feeling better -- but there's still some wrenches in the works --- namely student papers to grade. About which I'm fixing to post again.

I bet Alabama is gorgeous right about now.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Ereshkigal said...

I, too, live blue in the land of the red dirt. I moved back to Oklahoma as a young adult (after growing up in California) in 1972, and relish the endless and changing skies, the (usually) genial and kind people, and the varied terrain.

It's nice to hear another thoughtful Okie proclaim affection for this state.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home