.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Saturday, February 19, 2005

ztiworoH divaD, Blazing Numbskull

Bitch, Ph.D reports that the idiot ztiworoH divaD claims university professors work 6-9 hours a week, 8 months a year.

Well, we all know ztiworoH is a blazing idiot, but this is laughable.

You know, I quit my Ph.D. for a lot of reasons, but one was I was wrecking my health because I made the stupid decision that i could have a life and still get a Ph.D. Among other things.

NOT! The Ph.D. work alone was taking up some 15-20 hours a day, then those idiots dropped me into teaching courses I'd never even freaking taken in my life or studied for that matter --- let me tell you, try that out for a few months and you'll be ready for the sanitorium.

And so now, here I am, a non-Ph.D but not an ABD because I just bought this place and bailed out on the whole freaking deal ...

And I'm working as an adjunct in a university which is a non-career track job if ever there was ...

And were I to add my hours up, it would come to a minimum of 50 during my lazy weeks (meaning weeks that I purposely schedule no grading for me so I can get some sleep [this weekend is an example of a non-grading weekend for me]).

Weeks that I grade in addition to teaching and in addition to planning lessons, however? I'd estimate 65-70 hours minimum. More like over 80.

The guys a freaking nutjob. But it's predictable --- he's one of the ones trying to shut down NEA and academia, so of course, he'd claim that.

I dare him to try it. He wouldn't last two weeks.

2 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Yelling at your students and going off the deep end because of overwork and underappreciation? Who would do such things? Ha! You always make me feel better about myself. It's that time of year, I guess. OK. I'll make you feel better about yourself. I actually GOT my PhD just to prove something to myself. And while buying into it by getting the degree, I was also critiquing and snubbing my nose at the power hierarchy that it maintains.There were many times I thought of quitting because it would have been the right thing to do to save my soul.I guess it came down to me thinking that I had borrowed so much fucking money I needed that piece of paper to show I got something for it. And I'm still a fucking idiot. Go figure.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

Arrrrgh, PhDs! Several people have sternly advised me to go finish it now! right now! or they'll do something (?), but there is just no possible way.

I think I'd be dead had I continued. I admire anyone who has the physical endurance to do it.

But I'm genuinely noy one anymore. Today, someone asked me if I would consider writing a paper with them --- I couldn't bring myself to say it, but truth is, I would rather eat glass.

I'm so glad you yell at students, too. It's an uncomfortable thing but with some of them, there's no other choice --- there just comes a point where it's them or it's you.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home