.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Schiavo, again

You know, I'm writing about Near Death Experiences in part because I find them fascinating and have some personal experience with them.

I'm also writing about them because I'm sick to death (?) of living in a culture which is so death-phobic that it denies the existence or possibility of death in every possible way.

And I believe this death-phobia is one of the primary motivations for our gross neglect of the elderly and the very young, our refusal to face the facts about Iraq, our determination to remain Ever Young, our dreary obsession with gratuitous violence and blood and guts via film and video and game and whatever, our bizarre healthcare system, etc etc etc etc.

I also believe this death-phobia leads us to perpetuate some of the grossest cruelties and inhumanities and injustices imaginable, including the refusal to allow Terri Schiavo to simply die.

Whatever, the debate over Terri Schiavo is heating up again, and fortunately, there's some fairly intelligent discussion out there about it, including a rundown on the supposed *doctors* hired by Schiavo's parents to keep her alive. Working from this post at Alas, a Blog, Majikthise (again) grabs the ball and runs with it.

If you have any interest in this case, read this. I knew the *doctors* involved were pretty iffy, but this is the first time I've seen the evidence all in one place. Check it out.

1 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger MJ said...

I agree totally. We are death-phobic. I liked living in Mexico and experiencing a totally different cultural attitude toward death, one that acknowledges and even celebrates it. I heard that some Buddhist monks carry photos of decomposing bodies to better understand the true impermanent and transitory nature of life. I'm loving your NDE series.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home