.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Thursday, March 17, 2005

There are things that are worth it.

But there's so much more that isn't.

I don't believe in speaking unkindly of the dead, but my brother's death was for things which just aren't worth it.

He was found yesterday morning in bed, unresponsive, on the edge of death at his wife's mother's home. He didn't even make it til the ambulance arrived.

He'd had a minor illness which he hadn't attended to, and he was pushing himself just like he always had for that one more dollar, that one more feather in his cap, that one more bit of supposed shelter from ... whatever.

He was an academic. And I had told him, just as I had told everyone, that I abandoned my Ph.D and academia because it was me or it was it, and I chose me. I told him I did it because it was going to kill me.

But it wasn't me it killed. It was him.

His minor illness that he'd been walking around with for a few weeks and that he wouldn't take off teaching for and that he wouldn't spend his spring break resting up from and that he had to drive 400-500 miles to teach another course during that break at another university for the extra cash and that feather in his cap, his minor illness somehow flared into a deadly monster while he was asleep and killed him.

It is a lesson to all of us.

He was a good man. He leaves behind beautiful children and a thoroughly bewildered wife and hundreds of students who owe so much to him.

But he deserved to be here to grow old with his wife and to watch his children have children and to become the dottering old professor wandering aimlessly through the hallways visited every so often by students who years later still adore him.

But it isn't to be.

You were a good man, a pesky but kind brother and this isn't fair and I am so very angry at you that you were so stupid not to take care of yourself.

But he is beyond that now. I am sorry and so, so sad that he had to go.

3 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger MJ said...

I am so sorry, too. And I hope you are taking care of yourself! I'll be watching your blog.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Leila M. said...

AWWW COOOKIE! ohh nooo!

Do you need anything? I can't imagine losing my brother ;(

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Rob said...

My sincerest condolences for your loss. Take care of yourself, and don't let this get you too far down; I'm an only child, so I can't say I know how you feel, but I'm sure it's not easy...but remember the good times.

Take care of yourself, and again let me say I'm sorry for your loss.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home