.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Tuesday Afternoon Snark

I followed a link on another site (Pandagon --- sorry, but I'm too freaking lazy to get the URL for you people) to a rant by a seeming professor on the disturbing habit his students have of running out to potty (or whatever) during class.

The professor was appalled by the lack of "whatever" which has led to this epidemic of students having to tinkle, (or whatever).

My feelings on the subject: if all my students would simply go potty and never return, I wouldn't have to do any ($%^^& grading.

Let 'em potty. In fact, if they don't go potty on their own, I may just kick all of them out. And I certainly don't want them returning.

On a similar note, I participated in a survey yesterday about my "feelings" about student plagiarism. Except plagiarism was phrased as "textual" ownership". Gag.

The survey droned on about threshholds and crossing them and the "opportunities" presented by plagiarism and "plagiarism" as inevitable in the course of "learning" and "immanence" and whatnot.

Excuse me? When was the last time any of these people were actually in FRONT a classroom populated by actual students?

And how the hell does all this psychologizing address the very real phenomenon of students downloading entire essays from the internet?

I made the mistake of taking a few grad level courses in education during my PhD program. I came as close as I've ever come to just shooting myself. It was as bad as this, with one exception: the professor who informed us at the end of the semester that virtually all the theorists we had read had NEVER TAUGHT A DAY IN THEIR LIVES.

I am sick to death of people who have NEVER even BEEN in front of a classroom or TRIED to actually HELP students to learn coming up with all their precious theories and delicate sensitivities and poo-pooing psychologies.

I dare them to come into a class and psychologize the discovery that a good quarter of papers done as a major assignment had been downloaded directly from the Internet.

These jackasses wouldn't last a day.

3 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger Leila M. said...

ewwwww you have a PHD, ewwwwww!

I've had my "sheikh Speare" essay plagiarized-- that happens when you put it on the net tho. Some other ppl write to me on occasion to cite it, though. Funny!

v anc. history: http://www.geocities.com/umhajar/gripe5.html

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

Naw. I made it most of the way through my coursework, and then realized if I had to spend one more day in academia, I'd have to fling myself out a first story window.

Actually, I (not so unintentionally :=D ) bought this place out here which meant I would have had to commute about 3 hours each way. Coincidental to that, I also forgot to enroll.

Hehe.

Or respond to departmental emails or letters.

IOW, I dropped out. Smartest thing I ever did.

BTW, I'm borrowing sheikh speare for here.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger MJ said...

sheikh Speare? What a great title. I gotta go to Leila's blog.

Cookie! You crack me up! As far as the pissing in class, some people just have to sweat the small stuff. I'm not supposed to let students out of my classroom if they aren't "responsible" enought to bring their planner, which is where we are "supposed" to write their passes. But I'm not gonna tell them they can't go to the bathroom. Fuckin-A!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home