.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Book meme! Passed on ...

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

I follow Sister Scorpion in assuming I won't get burned.

Mmmmm ... Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. Just to be on the safe side.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Gawd. Where to start? Childhood crushes on all characters played by Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino. It would still be Pacino if he hadn't gotten his eyebrows done.

Like Sister Scorpion, yea, I know they played a lot of creeps but who cares? Ditto on Tuturro. Dark hair, dark eyes, does it each and every time. Likely has something to do with the fact that my dad looked somewhat like Dean Martin with squinty eyes. Although they say you fall into love at first sight with people who resemble the earliest memory of your mother's face. But that would follow, too, maybe even more closely. Black hair, black eyes, white white skin. Like Pacino.

What I want to know is why I didn't inherit the good hair, like everyone else in my family.

The last book you bought is:

Something by Robert Thurman on Buddhism which hasn't arrived yet. I bought yet at the same time I bought new blades for my power saw.

Yea, so I own power tools. I also own a pitchfork, if you catch my drift.

The last book you read:

Still reading them: Tibetan Book of the Dead translated by Thurman and Luminous Emptiness (see sidebar).

What are you currently reading?

See above question. Although depending on what arrives in the mail today, that may change.

Five books you would take to a deserted island

Ewww. Ouch!

Tereza Batista, Home from the Wars or One Hundred Years of Solitude, simply because I've been reading them for years now and I keep waiting to get sick of them, but it hasn't happened and I don't think it will. Although I did toss my ancient copy of Tereza Batista in the hopes I'd quit reading it and move on to something else, but all that accomplished is I miss seeing it on my bookshelf and have to buy a new copy.

I buy One Hundred Years of Solitude every couple of years for the same reason. I give it away hoping I'll quit reading it and end up buying a new copy. This time, I'm hanging onto it. Maybe. But maybe not.

Mooney's Myths of the Cherokee and Sacred Manuscripts because if you live where I live and aren't constantly reading them, you find yourself without anything to talk about on occasion. Constant critique, constant agreement, simultaneous love-hate, but Mooney was an Irishman so what do you expect? Same with Adair's History of the American Indian.

Anything by Angie Debo. DeLoria and Silko, too. And Zepeda.

The poem by Geary Hobson that I need to get again because I miss reading it. The "stomp dance bayou country, we don't dance for rain" poem that's my favorite ever.

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. And all the books by physicists on Buddhism and Hinduism that haven't yet arrived in the mail.

I'd also want The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind and that book about four arguments for the elimination of television. It's been years since I read them and I feel like reading them again.

But I wouldn't want that new book which exposes mythology as an entirely materialist phenomenon based on actual events (I mean, d'oh). I'm sick to death of the Western materialists and I suspect this book entirely removes the psychological/archetypal value of mythology. Gad. Could we get any more concrete and boring as a nation?

Something on rainwater collection, solar and composting.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

Okay, MJ! For obvious reasns.

I want to know what Redneck Mother reads, given she's raising children, lettuce and hell in Texas. I'm hoping for some gardening tips, too.

The third is a tie between a few people. I'm going to have to think about it. Besides, I have to go continue digging rocks out of the ground so I can plant the lilacs.

1 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger Leila M. said...

ooo my anthology would have Marquez INCLUDED. No doubt on that, too

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home