.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Friday, April 29, 2005

Tossing Strauss into the brew

I woke up this morning just hurting all over to beat the band. I had a moment's concern --- oh dear, now on top of everything else, I'm dying --- then remembered that mowing season has begun. And this is what happens when you spend the day hauling a mower up and down hills, and up and down hills, across gentle slopes and speeding down the flats.

This time of year, I keep the blade very high and mow relatively slowly, so as to allow escape time for the bunnies, skniks (spelt backward to protect me from googling students who've been assigned to research them for extra credit), various anaibihpma and selitper (ditto) [including the dreaded tiny three inch long Tyrannosaurus Rex and the strange gorfeert that looks like black mold]. Over the past couple of years, I've gotten pretty good at identifying imminent escape. There will be a slight rustle ahead, then signs of skittering or hauling ass, depending on the critter. Some, like bunnies, will take off running, then freeze in place, thinking you can't see them if they're real still. When that happens, I head off to another area til the bunny (or whatever) unfreezes and gets themselves resituated in a safe spot.

So I managed to rouse myself and, while drinking my morning coffee and eating breakfast (a lovely avocado [yes, I know, but they're tasty] with a tad of fresh squeezed lime and a mess of chopped cilantro), I went blog-hopping ....

... and found this reference at Seeing the Forest to a great slice and dice of Leo Strauss at Billmon.

Hmmm, pretty good, although not at all comforting. It's worrisome to me that I'd concluded some similar things concerning the underlying motivations of the current reigning power --- you know, a fondness for feudalism and monarchal style hierarchy enforced by religious dictum [The King is The King because God Says So!, that sort of thing], the takedown of the Enlightenment, etc ad nauseam. As long as it was just me thinking it, I could dismiss it as illogical and unlikely. I'm not terribly politically savvy, after all, and I definitely have my flights of fancy.

Apparently, however, it's not just me thinking it. Damn!

In any case, it's a really excellent read, and Billmon has done a nice job of bringing Strauss and his minions down to a comprehensible level.

I really wish Majikthise would do a Strauss post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home