.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Old Knowledge, Old Medicine Man, Passing Away

A well known medicine man from these parts was buried today. Yea, yea, I know, anyone reading this who knows who I'm talking about will no doubt spit out he was no medicine man! He was a conjuror!

Well, competition is fierce, you know, so get over it. Besides, I don't care. I know people love to make that distinction, but I believe it arises solely from the Christianization --- missionization, if you will --- of the Indians. A medicine man is a medicine man, and the powerful ones can conjure like no one's business.

And boy, could he conjure --- he was the real thing.

Riding around in a car with him was a serious trip. The first time I ever carted him around, hawks flew down from the sky and skidded across the front hood of my car. More troubling, I had the odd feeling that we'd levitated far above the road and were somehow floating along midair, not quite like an airplane, more like a car that's running and has been levitated. I kept checking my seatbelt, fearful because the car was, swear to god, not really on the road anymore, but instead a few feet over it. But he preferred to ride free. He was havng a great time.

Hoo boy.

During one ride, my mind was somewhat caught up in other matters. At one point, I glanced over at him and saw a major major ex of mine. I turned my eyes back to the road, thinking to myself well, I'll be, I haven't seen him since ... WAIT A MINUTE! I took another look --- he was back to being the medicine man.

When the bridge over 1-40 collapsed a couple of years ago, there was widespread chuckling around here --- oops! he missed! Another medicine man confided in me how worried people were getting. All the knowledge he had, but getting kind of old and a little dotty. Old medicine men getting a little dotty is a problem around here, you know. Maybe not for you all. But for us. They can do things. I'd tell you about the tarantula, but I don't want to freak you out too badly.

In any case, he has gone on now, to that point where space and time collapse into one, where --- rumor has it --- all medicine men do their work anyway. The distinction between space and time is supposedly one created by the early Christians to stamp out the native religions, or so I've been told by others who know about these things.

One more medicine man lost. And yet more old old ancient knowledge disappeared forever.

1 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Blogger Leila M. said...

none of the youth are interested?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home