.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Composting

The deluxe pyramid composter from gardeners.com is fabulous! When did I set it up --- maybe two weeks ago? And already, toward the bottom, I'm seeing the beginning of nice, black earth. And it's so simple. I just threw in the kitchen scraps, did some raking and tossed in a mess of old leaves, threw in a couple handfuls of peat, and every now and then, I open it up and stir it a bit.

And already --- it's almost dirt!

And no critter problems either. Yea, I put a rodent screen on the bottom, but was sure I'd still have critter problems --- but none at all. The first day or so, there were lots of bugs flying around, but you have to understand I'd filled it almost a third of the way up with kitchen scraps. But, within a day or so, it smelled like a good compost heap --- with absolutely no accelerator and the only "addition" that couple of handfuls of peat (like that did anything).

It's huge, too. I thought for sure I'd fill it up in no time, but, no. Okay, maybe this fall, it will get entirely full, but not any sooner. What a deal. Especially because I have a mess more gardens to build, and I'm cheap!

4 Comments:

At 6:13 AM, Blogger KCB said...

Good to know. I'd wondered for a long time if something like that would be worth the money. Glad it's working so well for you.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Cookie said...

I'm really pleased -- kind of surprised but pleased. So yea, they're worth the money.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Leila M. said...

arghhhhh I went to go buy mine and theyre sold out!!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

I had to put mine on backorder. I think it took like 2 months to get it. But it was worth it.

Lots of creepy crawly stuff in it today. Eeeeeew!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home