.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Gardening Journal, Day Completely Unknown

Classes have started, which means I can no longer spend days on end dressed in ragged t-shirts covered in paint and horse manure, and even more filthy jeans. Worse, I have to comb my hair.

But there's a positive side to it all. Not only do I teach back to back classes, but I teach e-a-r-l-y. So I wake up at an ungodly hour, drown myself in coffee (home roasted in a decrepit popcorn popper), get there and teach my little heart out til noon. At which point, I am out for the day.

Which leaves plenty of time for gardening chores. Well, of course, there's the lengthy drive home, a drive which has become even longer because in the interest of saving money, I'm refusing to go over 55 miles. Which totally annoys all the cowboys and dually ropers out there, but it really does work. I drive 60 miles to work and sixty miles back --- and this 55 MPH driving, now I haven't figured out exactly how much it saves, but it might be a gallon a trip, which is nothing to sneeze at these days.

Which means by the time I get home, it's getting later than I'd like, so I have plenty of time to stop at the place right down the road and chat with the charming little foal over there --- as long as the people who own the foal aren't around. He's really darling and has such a charmingly grumpy look about him, like McCauley Caulkin (?) looks in that movie "Home Alone" when he first wakes up and before he realizes he's home alone.

You can see the little baby horse is still annoyed about being put over there with some (gasp!) goats, of all things. There's practically a little cartoon bubble over his head that says "What have you done with my mother?? Give her back! And goats? Are you people kidding?"

So truth be known, there isn't much time by the time I get home to do much gardeing. but i have done a bit. I gathered seeds from the Indian Peace Pipe flowers yesterday and started basil for this winter. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to convince a friend of mine with a pickup to go with me over to the lumber store to get cinder blocks (and dek blocks - !) for building two new beds, this time, a la Sister Scorpion style.

And I'm trying to decide on trees for the front. I need a combination of fruit or nut and privacy screens. I want to plant at least three come the end of October - mid November. Hmmm.

3 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Blogger MJ said...

You know what? It sounds pretty damn good over your way. I think your positives are outweighing the negatives for now. Let's help each other get through the teaching part and try not to let it take over our lives. Shall we?

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Leila M. said...

sounds decent, I agree.

There's certain types of fig trees that grow well out here, that's something to think about!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

MJ, we teachers have to stick together! How are you feeling? Your last post is really wonderful, but a little sad. :-( I haven't had a chance to respond yet.

Leila, I've found a GREAT online source for trees --- Cold Stream Farm. I want to plant more hickories and oaks ... and they actually sell them. ! Unbelievable!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home