.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Solar cooking

I'm cooking dinner right now in a solar oven, just like this one, in fact. I got it several years ago but only figured out how best to use it a few months ago.

It's cooking chicken with tomatoes and basil (homegrown). It will take most of the afternoon to get it just right, but will be well worth it --- just think: roast chicken in the middle of summer --- during a heatwave, no less, and no heating the house up.

I'm also considering building an earthen oven. I've thought about it for a long time, but kept putting off doing it because I've been so overrun by critters. I seem to have turned a corner this year, however, and am finally approaching enough civilization here that I can reasonably consider building an outdoor oven and cooking in it without attracting every raccoon, possum, rat, coyote, buzzard and whatever for miles around.

Think this wll be the next book I get: Build Your Own Earth Oven: A Low Cost Wood-Fired Mud Oven

4 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger KCB said...

How'd the dinner work out? I've been wondering whether a solar oven would be worth the expense and learning curve...

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

It was yummy! Really good!

But there is a definite learning curve, so it's good you know that. It took me forever to figure it out --- finally, I just began looking at it as being like crockpot cooking and that was the trick. Plus, it doesn't work on cloudy days, despite what they say, and oddly, won;t work it a greenhouse - ?

IOW, it seems to need direct sunlight. But if you know that and compensate for it, it works great. I turn it every hour or so, too.

Be sure to shop around if you decide to buy. DON'T BUY FROM ENERGY SUPERMARKET. They are seriously creepy people!

If you have a little extra time, you can build them, too, you know! Given how lousy I am at construction requiring straight lines, though, I figured it was cheaper to buy. :=D

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Leila M. said...

that sounds VERY cool! There's also basket and pillow ovens, but it takes some fuel to get it up to temp first, but then you insulate and it slow cooks the food after it's been brought to a boil or certain temps. I read about it being a project by some foreign aid org a while ago...

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Cookie said...

Hmmm, I like the sounds of basket and pillow ovens. I've never heard of them.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home