.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tom Coburn is a Big Fat Jerk


moonbat150


Home of the Barking Moonbat


 

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Well, this is annoying

I've developed a kind of arthritis in both my hands which causes my thumbs to pop out of joint whenever they feel like it. It's from overuse and I suppose I should be grateful I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome, but this is absurd. If I try to pick up something heavy --- which I've always done with no real problems --- my thumb will pop out of joint. If I don't pay attention to what I'm doing with my hands, a thumb (or two) will pop out of joint. If I'm not careful how I sleep, my thumbs pop out of joint.

I posted several weeks ago that I'd injured my hand careening over one of my pups late one night when I tried to sneak into the kitchen for a snack. I assumed I'd pulled a tendon or whatever. But noooooo, it couldn't be that simple, could it? Instead, after nursing that hand for days and days, I realized I was having a hard time keeping that thumb in the joint --- and then the same thing started to happen on the other hand!

I can't tell you the bizarre scenarios which have come to mind in recent days. I suddenly became quite certain that somehow this was only the beginning, that within a matter of weeks, I wouldn't be able to keep anyting in the proper joint. I wouldn't be able to walk because everything would be merrily popping out of joint. I would have to join the circus or give up and live on the sofa watching Foghorn Leghorn cartoons. I'd have to apply for disability, citing my inability to keep anything in the joint.

However, looks like it's just the hands. Treatment? Splints (yea, right, like that's going to happen) and anti-inflammatories.

Well, it really could be worse. But still, this is the stupidest thing I ever heard of.

4 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Leila M. said...

What the hell, I've NEVER heard anything so odd in my life! It doesn't make any sense-- how is that a form of arthritis? I'd get a 2nd opinion, that just sounds... bizarre... I know joints pop out when they've suffered a big injury (like shoulder popping, hip popping, etc), but never a freakin finger!

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Wow. This is uncanny. Another parallel in our lives? Well, I have been convinced I'm going blind the past couple of days, so watch your eyes.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Cookie said...

Leila, it's real. It's also calld Blackberry Thumb because so many wifi users are getting it. It's a kind of repetitive stress thing except it happens at a different place in the hand. I know why I'm getting it --- I'm a two finger typist :=D and once I began paying attention to it, I could feel how much I use my thumbs when on the computer.

Nt sure what I'm going to do about it --- I've already drastically cut down my computer time and am taking anti-inflammatories --- so we'll see.

MJ, yea. :=D I thought of the resemblance, as well. :=D

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger KCB said...

Ach. Sounds like your thumbs have developed a will of their own. Good luck with the splints and drugs.

FWIW, I spent so much time knitting a few days ago that my left elbow locked up and wouldn't bend for more than 12 hours. I would roll my eyes in exasperation but I'm afraid they'd do something weird, too.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home